True Grit



I think part of the reason why I don't always love Westerns, and movies about England in the 17th century is I don't speak the same language as the actors on the screen. I'm pretty sure it's the same reason I don't watch a lot of movies in French.

This Christmas Eve morning, my wife and I decided to check out True Grit, the story of a young lady out to avenge the death of her father with the aid of a US Marshall. Jeff Bridges plays the role of Rooster Cogburn, a tough, gritty US Marshall who has an appetite for the bottle. This character seemed like he was a distant relative of the character Bridges played in Crazy Heart (which by the way was fantastic). He doesn't seem to care much for anything other than himself, and as the movie develops his stone cold character develops a heart. I think this is the perfect character for Bridges. He has the look down, and his comedic timing is perfect.

Hailee Steinfeld makes her major movie debut as young Mattie Ross, a well educated and quick witted 14 year old looking to kill mean ole' Tom Chaney (played in a brief role by Josh Brolin, thanks for dropping in). Steinfeld stole the show, which is saying something considering she was playing opposite two Academy Award winners (Bridges, and the always great Matt Damon). Her quick jabs at other characters, and constant struggle to show that she belonged provided great entertainment throughout the movie. This young lady has a very bright future.

As usual, I don't want to spoil too much of the plot, but I will say that the 2nd half of the movie left a lot to be desired. It is certainly a movie that is worthwhile to see, but it did not leave me hoping to catch the next foreign film Western that rides through the movie theater.


True Grit
Directed by: Ethan Cohen, and Joel Cohen
Written by: Joel Cohen, Ethan Cohen, and Charles Portis
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Hailee Steinfeld, and Matt Damon
My Rating: 3 out of 5
Would Gene Pick it?: Yeah, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment