Bridesmaids


I have spent the better part of two days trying to figure out exactly what I thought about Bridesmaids. I haven't been able to figure out if it was good with some funny one-liners, or if it was terrible and a wannabe of so many movies that did the exact same thing only with a male cast.

The fact that there was so much deliberation in my thoughts has led me to my decision. It was precisely mediocre. It wasn't hilarious, but yet it didn't suck. It was exactly in the middle.

Let's get one thing straight, I have read reviews calling this the female version of The Hangover. That, it is not. The four main characters in The Hangover were the funniest people on the screen at all times. In Bridesmaids I thought Chris O'Dowd stole the comedic show in his role as Rhodes, a state trooper and love interest of Kristen Wiig.

Wiig's character Annie is best friends with newly engaged Lillian (Maya Rudolph), and has been named her maid of honor. The usual responsibilities are issued but a wrinkle is thrown in Annie's plans as Lillian's new friend Helen (Rose Byrne) has a whole separate plan for the events leading to her friend's nuptials.

The movie has some of the usual things you would expect to go wrong leading up to a wedding (picking out dresses, what to do for a bachelorette party etc. etc.), and a few things that you might not foresee (let's just say I won't be eating Brazilian food any time soon).

This movie is almost the exact opposite of what you expect it to be. It is not a chick flick, but yet it is not a gross-out, vulgar comedy either. It is stuck somewhere in the mediocre middle.


Bridesmaids
Directed by: Paul Feig
Written by: Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo
Starring: Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph and Rose Byrne
My Rating: 2.5 out of 5
Would Gene Pick It?: Yes.... No.... Hmmm.... Who's paying for the popcorn?

No comments:

Post a Comment