My Day To Remember


No one needs me to remind them of the significance of this day, yet I am going to spend the next few minutes doing my best to remember.

September 11th, 2001 was day that changed the lives of so many people, none more than the families of the 2,996 who were tragically killed on that day. I can't imagine what it is like for those families who thought that mom, dad, brother, sister, aunt and uncle were just going to work as they had every other day and to never have them come home. I can't imagine what it is like for those unbelievably brave men and women who are fighting for our freedom both here in America and all around the world.

But I can imagine what it was like for a 16 year old living in Utah.

It was Homecoming Week at Springville High School. I was a junior with a great group of friends preparing to defend our Mud Volleyball Championship and having one of the best times of my life. I woke up on Tuesday morning and got ready for school before sitting down and watching a few minutes of the Today Show and SportsCenter as I did every morning. I had no idea of the emotions I would feel from that day forward.

I will remember for the rest of my life leaving my school after a Homecoming event and listening to a local radio DJ talking about the events that were less than 48 hours old and how from that night forward he recommended holding your loved ones for just a moment longer every day. He wasn't saying anything that wasn't being broadcast all over the airwaves but for some reason that really hit home for me. I actually called into him and spoke with him off the air and let him know that what he said put everything that I had in front of me in life in perspective. From that day forward I have made it my goal to not take any of the opportunities in my life for granted.

I am incredibly thankful for the many opportunities in my life. I am incredibly lucky to be married to my best friend who I love more than anything. I have an amazing family that would do anything for each other. I have a job that allows me to be around a game that has been a passion of mine since before I could talk, and I have the freedom to do whatever I want in the greatest country in the world.

I think too often in life it takes tragic events like the cowardly attacks of September 11th, 2001 for us to truly appreciate the great opportunities we have in our lives.

Today is a day to remember, tomorrow is a day to rise up and continue to do the things that makes America the greatest country in the world.

_________________________________________________________

I want to share a couple of YouTube clips with you that I watch over, and over each year at this time.

First is a clip of the opening monologue from the first Late Show with David Letterman following the 9/11 attacks. His words continue to ring true 10 years later, and really reflect the mood of the country during that time.





Second is a clip from an outstanding documentary "Nine Innings From Ground Zero" that focused one the 2001 World Series between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the New York Yankees. I don't care what your political beliefs are, when President Bush stood on the mound and fired a perfect strike before Game 3 in The Bronx, it was an amazing symbol of our countries pride.





Finally is a link to an incredible CNN.com story with photos from the official White House photographer of then President Bush as the events from that Tuesday morning unfolded. There are some really poignant moments captured magnificently in this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment