J. Edgar


I have spent many a word discussing what I feel are the differences between a movie, and a film. Movies are made to entertain us, to make us forget about our day-to-day lives and enjoy some popcorn and a diet soda (Sour Patch Watermelons are optional). Seeing something like Cedar Rapids is the epitome of watching a movie. You laugh, you enjoy your treats, and 48 hours later you have forgotten all about it.

Films make you think, they inspire you, and they tell you a story that has changed lives. When my wife recommended we see The King's Speech nearly a year ago I wasn't exactly running to my car. As it turns out, The King's Speech was one of the best films of last year, and went on to win many Academy Awards.

This past weekend we saw J. Edgar, the biopic of the former director of the FBI, directed by the great Clint Eastwood.

Having not acted since my 4th grade production of Mr. Grumpy's Toy Shop I am probably not one to speak for the acting profession, however I have to imagine that playing the part of a well known, real life person is one of the most difficult roles in Hollywood. Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the few actors that is not only up to the task, but able to hit a home run with the part.

It is well known of the role that J. Edgar Hoover played in the FBI. The story of the missing Lindbergh baby, the capture of John Dillinger, and his secret files have been published for years. The story of his relationship with Clyde Tolson was something that I had never heard about. Armie Hammer plays the role of Hoover's deputy, and best friend in the film.

Hammer is best known for playing both roles of the Winklevoss twins in my all time favorite movie, The Social Network. Judging by the makeup he had to wear for the later years in this film, I think he would have preferred playing two parts.

J. Edgar was a good film. It was not a very good movie. At times I think Clint Eastwood tried to combine the two which is not something that is easily attained. The story of what J. Edgar Hoover did while in office was good enough that the fictional drama he intertwined was not needed. It was almost like he was hoping to make it appeal to a different crowd than those who went to see it based on the history in the film.

The performances by DiCaprio, and Hammer are reason enough to see this film.


J. Edgar
Directed by: Clint Eastwood
Written by: Dustin Lance Black
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, and Naomi Watts
My Rating: 3.25 out of 5
Would Gene Pick it?: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment