The Watch

After not seeing a movie during the month of July I feel like I have failed you, the loyal reader. No, the blog has not just turned into an Aaron Sorkin love fest, no it isn't only a TV review blog, and no I did not win the lottery and sail away to my own private island. Last night after work I made my triumphant return to the local Cinemark and got August off to a great start by checking out The Watch.

Starring Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and Jonah Hill this movie features the trio forming a neighborhood watch program along with Richard Ayoade.

After the murder of his friend and security worker at Costco, Evan (Stiller) finds the local law enforcement to be subpar and decides he needs to take the law into his own hands. When his three new partners dive deeper into the mystery surrounding their small Ohio town, what they find not only surprises them, but it turns their world upside down.

As I sat in the theater for the first 20 minutes of the movie I couldn't help but wonder if I was going to get my money's worth for the free voucher I redeemed for admission. It was agonizingly slow. It wasn't funny, and only made me think of Vince Vaughn's performance in The Dilemma, one of the worst movies of 2011.

But then a funny thing happened. The story line became so ridiculous and unbelievable that all of the jokes became funny. For the next hour I enjoy laughing at the jokes that made me love the three stars in the first place. It was crude, vulgar, and hilarious. The perfect way to spend a Wednesday evening.

There are so many subtle lines or actions in this movie that kept me laughing, and of course seeing everyone's dream of being alone at night in a Costco helped made the movie even more enjoyable. It's not going to change your life, but it will help liven up your life for a couple of hours, and after all isn't that what you've come to expect from these leading men?

The Watch
Directed by: Akiva Schaffer
Written by: Jared Stern, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg
Starring: Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and Jonah Hill
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Would Gene Pick it?: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment