American Reunion


I know it's been a day or two since my last review, but you must forgive me. You know that March is a tough time to get to the movies for me, plus throw in the fact that nothing good has been in theaters in weeks and... well, you see the result. But I have good news. During my time I away set forth on an investigative mission. The results of which are within...

Having been in high school during the early 2000's you might say that I "grew up" with the American Pie franchise. I'm pretty sure that when my friends and I watched the movies in high school we all compared ourselves to characters on the big screen, (Mike you were Stifler, Nick you were the Shermanator).

Because of this I had wondered why, for the past 9 years why I hadn't seen any of the actors in anything even remotely good, as it turns out all I had to do was check out the latest installment in the series, American Reunion and be refreshed on their skills as actors.

All of our favorites from the previous three movies return as the gang heads back to East Great Falls for their 12-year (?) High School Reunion. Jim and Michelle bring their 2-year old son along with them as they get together with sportscaster and reality dancing show star Oz, house husband Kevin, world traveler/assistant manager at Staples Finch, and of course everyone's favorite former lacrosse star Stifler.

If you have seen the previous movies in the series (and let's be honest, if you are still reading this you have), you have come to realize that the plot will probably feature the gang getting back together, something going wrong (caused by Stifler), and ending happily ever after. Well, spoiler alert, the trend continues.

From problems in the bedroom for the married couple, to having an odd girlfriend who hangs out with A.C. Slater, the conundrums for the cast are plentiful. Many problems they never thought they would ever have to face again rear their ugly head over a decade after graduating from high school. Fortunately for us as viewers, we are treated to some of the classics that helped make this franchise successful when we were younger.

I may, or may not have had it already in my head that I was going to love this movie when we walked into the theater. While I'm probably not going to add it to the movie posters on the wall behind me, While the actors all proved that they have no depth beyond playing these characters, for the 2 hours I spent in the theater I was throughly entertained.

American Reunion
Directed by: Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg
Written by: Adam Herz, Jon Hurwitz, and Hayden Schlossberg
Starring: Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, and Seann William Scott
My Rating: 3 out of 5
Would Gene Pick it?: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment