The Hunger Games

Not only has it been over a week since I last posted a review, it's now been one week since I saw my last movie. Man, I'm becoming a slacker. I'll try and pick up my game for you.

Seven days ago the wife and I reacquainted ourselves with our refillable popcorn buckets and set out to see The Hunger Games. For my bride it was her second trip through the futuristic setting, while this was my maiden voyage to what is apparently our future.

Going into the theater I was given a brief background on the movie as I have not read any of the books. I was told that there were 12 districts in this new country with the higher the number district the poorer, and further away from the capitol you are. This helped me realize what was going on when the movie opened and we met young Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) as she did whatever she could to help support her younger sister and her mother. As the previews showed us Katniss' younger sister, Primrose, was selected to participate in the annual Hunger Games event where 24 youngsters fight to the death in a government mandated entertainment spectacle.

Upon seeing her younger sister be selected, Katniss became the first volunteer in Hunger Games history. This leads her on an intriguing voyage with her fellow district 12 resident, Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson). As the two are quickly taken to the capital they begin their training for the most important "game" of their lives.

With the recent string of female aimed books being turned into movies (Twilight, Harry Potter, etc.) I was certainly skeptical about seeing this movie, but hoping to score some "good husband" points I took my wife's advice and decided to just enjoy my popcorn. Fortunately for me, I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. It was entertaining, the acting was quality, and despite my hesitancy I found myself disappointed when it ended. What more can you ask for from a movie?

The good news is that this is undoubtedly the first in a trilogy (or more?) of movies based on the Hunger Games books. Which of course can only mean one thing, more of my wife reminding me that she was right and I need to listen to her more often.

Uh, oh. What have I gotten myself into?

The Hunger Games
Directed by: Gary Ross
Written by: Gary Ross, Suzanne Collins, and Billy Ray
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth
My Rating: 3.75 out of 5
Would Gene Pick it?: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment