Cedar Rapids



There is an old saying, "don't judge a movie by its poster"... or something like that.

Since there were no new movies that we wanted to see within a 45 mile radius of our house, the wife and I decided to head north to Salt Lake to check out Cedar Rapids, the new comedy featuring one of our favorite actors Ed Helms. We had tried to acquire tickets to see this movie during the 2011 Sundance Film Festival, but we were not successful.

Tim Lippe is sent to the booming metropolis of Cedar Rapids, Iowa for an annual insurance convention. While at the convention Lippe meets some new friends, and is introduced to a totally different world from what he has known in small town Wisconsin. He faces a relationship crisis, a bribery scandal, a drugged out prostitute, his first exposure to alcohol, and of course his roommates for the weekend Dean Ziegler, and Ronald Wilkes.

I was a little skeptical heading into the theater as I knew that John C. Reilly played a major part in this movie, his work in the past has been less than stellar in my opinion. I thought he ruined two movies during Will Ferrell's prime, but I must issue my apologies to Mr. C. Reilly, he was fantastic. His jokes and one-liners had me laughing throughout the movie. His no care attitude that he has played so often was the perfect balance for the awkwardness of Helms' character.

I was unprepared to see such a great comedic side of Anne Heche. Maybe it is just her name, but being a little unfamiliar with her work I didn't think she would be able to pull off such a good supporting comedic role. I knew what I was in for with Reilly, and Helms but Heche caught me totally off guard, but in a witty way.

I only wish that the hotel in this movie was actually located in Cedar Rapids. It turns out that the majority of this picture was filmed in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It would have made my first visit to the second largest city in Iowa all the more special.


Cedar Rapids
Directed by: Miguel Arteta
Written by: Phil Johnston
Starring: Ed Helms, John C. Reilly, Anne Heche, and Isaiah Whitlock Jr.
My Rating: 4 out of 5
Would Gene Pick it?: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment