Men In Black III

I'm sure it won't come as a surprise to anyone who knew me as a teenager pretending that I was Will Smith that I am a Men In Black homer. When the original movie came out in the late 90's I'm pretty sure that it was the highlight of my Middle School experience. Well, either that or the time I got two Pop-Tarts to fall out of the vending machine by shaking it.

The third edition of the successful franchise finds us taking a trip back in time to the 60's as Agent J (Smith) attempts to help save the life of his long-time partner Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones & Josh Brolin). It doesn't take long for J to realize that things are a little different 40 years ago, and naturally the fate of the world depends on the outcome of his travels.

As evidenced by my previous reviews, and lack thereof on certain movies, I'm not the biggest sci-fi fan in the world. I was pleasantly surprised by the minimal amount of alienology (yeah... I made that word up) in this movie. Sure there are your specific references to the Boglodite species that you may or may not be familiar with, but it certainly does not take away from what I have come to expect from the trilogy, great special effects, hilarious one-liners and pure entertainment.

That takes me to the biggest surprise in this movie. The storyline. The second installment of the series lacked seriously in this department. It fell in with Ocean's Twelve, Rocky 2, and Back to the Future 2 as sequels in a series that could have been skipped. With that in the back of my mind I didn't have the highest expectations for Etan Cohen's script. I am more than happy to admit that I was totally wrong, and should have known that taking nearly a decade between movies would allow for plenty of time to create a big budget worthy script.

Smith's wit, and the seriousness of Tommy Lee Jones/Josh Brolin continue to work perfectly. It is hard to imagine anyone being better at playing the younger version of K than Brolin. The addition of having a storyline that keeps you not only entertained, but wondering what will happen next helps make MIB 3 the leader in the clubhouse for the best movie of the summer.

I wonder if it would be possible to borrow one of their neurolizers to help flashy thing my memory into forgetting the two duds I saw last weekend?

Men In Black 3
Directed by: Barry Sonnenfeld
Written by: Lowell Cunningham and Etan Cohen
Starring: Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin
My Rating: 4 out of 5
Would Gene Pick it?: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment